MINESTRONE SOUP - AT HOME
As a community, we have never had as much time on our hands than we do during these times. To keep our minds and creativity flowing, Novotel Sunshine Coast Resort's Executive Chef Murray Paterson is sharing one of his favourite pasta recipe for you to try at home!
Now that the weather is cooling down, give his 'Minestrone Soup' a go, and share your results with us on social media. Tag #NovotelSunshineCoast and @novotelsunshinecoast so we can share your creation with the community!
'Minestrone Soup' Recipe
• 1 cup uncooked Rossini
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
• 2 cups diced smoked bacon
• 3 cups diced onion
• 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
• 1 cup diced carrots
• 1 cup diced celery
• 1 tablespoon dry Italian seasoning
• ¾ teaspoon salt
• ½ cup white wine
• 6 cups vegetable broth
• 1 small zucchini, diced
• 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
• 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 can white kidney beans, drained and washed
• ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
• Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
1. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package instructions. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and bacon cook stirring often until the onion is starting to brown slightly, about 3 minutes. Add in carrots, celery, Italian seasoning and salt, and stir to combine. Continue cooking, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft aprox 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Pour in wine and cook, stirring until most of the wine is evaporated, 1 to 3 minutes. Add in broth and zucchini, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Crush tomatoes into the soup and add any tomato sauce from the can. Stir in beans and the cooked Rossini, cook stirring often until heated through, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in basil. Serve in bowls topped with Parmesan and additional olive oil if desired.