As a community, we have never had as much time on our hands than we do during these times. To keep our minds and creativity flowing, Novotel Sunshine Coast Resort's Executive Chef Murray Paterson is sharing one of his favourite pasta recipe for you to try at home!
Give his 'Fettuccine Puttanesca' a go, and share your results with us on social media.
Tag #NovotelSunshineCoast and @novotelsunshinecoast so we can share your creation with the community!
'Fettuccine Puttanesca' Recipe
Serves 4 – 5 people
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• ½ cup finely chopped onion
• 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 3-4 anchovies chopped
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• ½ teaspoon pepper flakes
• 1 can crushed tomatoes
• 2 teaspoons oregano (dried is fine)
• 2 tablespoons capers
• ¾ cup pitted olives roughly chopped
• 500 grams fettuccine
• Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
• ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Heat, pasta, water: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (1 Tbsp of salt for every 2 quarts of water). While the water is heating, start making the sauce.
- Cook onions, anchovies, garlic: Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, deep sauté pan. When the oil is hot, cook the onions until they're soft and translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, stir in the chopped anchovies along with some of the oil from the can.
- Add the finely chopped garlic and cook another minute.
- Make the sauce: Mix in the tomato paste and cook it for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, chili pepper flakes, olives, and capers. Bring the sauce to a simmer, and then lower the heat to low to maintain a gentle simmer, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook the spaghetti: When the salted pasta water is at a rolling boil, add the pasta. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, to al dente, cooked but still slightly firm.
- Finish the sauce: Stir the parsley into the pasta sauce. Add some pasta water into the sauce to thin it if it has become too thick.
- Serve: Drain the pasta and put in a large bowl. If you want, mix a little olive oil into the pasta so the pasta doesn't stick together.
Serve in shallow bowls with more sauce on top!
Additional notes: Add a ladle's worth of sauce to the pasta and mix to combine.